Established 1960

The club was officially opened in 1960 at a meeting held in the Legion Hall (alongside the Manx Arms). The meeting was chaired by George Davison (he of the ice cream firm) and attended by over 100 village residents.

Until 1972 the club met in various village halls organising social events of the day such as whist & beetle drives, coffee mornings, social fund raising events.

The aims of the club were quite simple which was to provide friendship and good fellowship to all senior citizens making them feel wanted. Those aims have remained to this present day.



Our home – built 1972

After many years of fund raising and using other organisations halls the opportunity arose for the club to purchase it own piece of land and erect a club house on the grounds.

On the 6th January 1972, just 12 years after the clubs formation, Mrs OLIVE HUDSON unveiled a plaque marking the opening of the new building.

The unit was built by Mantis Ltd at a cost of £5000.Mr MORTON of Howstrake Grange made a donation of £1500 plus he paid for all the chairs, floor covering and curtains.

The club became very active in the village with all sorts of community events like Summer and Winter Bazaars, Concerts, Jumble sales (remember them) Whist drives, Bingo, Parties, and a number of dancing clubs.


Today we have a modern 60 seater club room with fully fitted kitchen, overhead projection, a ’Bring & Buy’ shop plus a Book, CD, DVD Library.

Apart from our own weekly events the hall is available for private hire.


The Good Old Days - send us your photos